A Mother’s Goodbye: Discussion Questions
- Are you sympathetic with Heather’s situation at the beginning of the story? Do you feel adoption was her best choice? Why do you think she chose Grace as the adoptive mother?
- Who do you empathize with more, Heather or Grace? Why?
- What are the difficulties and challenges in the women’s relationship, throughout the story? How do they both change? What do you think they could have done differently, to make things easier between them?
- Do you think Heather was justified in reconsidering the terms of the adoption, and making it open? What about Grace’s reaction?
- How do both Heather and Grace show their love for Isaac? What is different about it?
- How are Heather’s three daughters and her husband Kevin affected by the choices she makes—first to give Isaac up for adoption, and then to make the adoption open? Do you think Heather is aware of how her actions have affected her family?
- How does Grace’s cancer diagnosis change the women’s relationship? Would you call them friends by the end of the story? Why or why not?
- Do you think Heather was right in not taking Isaac back?
- How do you see Stella’s role in the story?
- What would you do in this situation, if you were Heather? If you were Grace?
Copyright © 2007-2021 Kate Hewitt. All rights reserved.
Website by Swank Web Design